Life Skills Program
Providence College’s Life Skills Program is a comprehensive progression of workshops, lectures, community activities, and campus wide events that student-athletes can become involved in over the course of their collegiate careers. Our goal is to provide programming in conjunction with various departments and services at the College that will allow student-athletes to maximize their overall collegiate experience and to help them develop the necessary “life skills” to become responsible and productive citizens in the greater societal and world communities. The Life Skills program at Providence College addresses five key areas: academic excellence, athletic excellence, personal development, career development, and community service.
Commitment to support the academic progress of the student-athlete toward intellectual development and graduation.
- To support this commitment, the Office of Academic Services has created an academic support program to assist student-athletes with their transition from high school to college. Through this support program, student-athletes will receive accurate information about both Providence College and N.C.A.A. rules and regulations, academic eligibility certification, academic monitoring, pre-registration assistance, tutoring, and study hall.
To build philosophical foundations for the development of athletic programs that are broad-based, equitable and dedicated to the well being of the student-athlete.
- Providence College athletics is dedicated to offering all student-athletes an opportunity to compete and succeed at the highest level of athletic competition. The athletic department is consistently striving to provide state of the art facilities, professional coaching staffs and trainers, and supportive administrators.
To support the development of a well-balanced lifestyle for student-athletes, encouraging emotional well-being, personal growth, and decision-making skills.
- Student-athletes are encouraged to participate in a variety of workshops, seminars, and lectures covering a wide range of topics promoting healthy lifestyles. The Student-Athlete Advisory Board, which is composed of two student-athlete representatives from each team, is afforded the opportunity to take a leadership role for all student-athletes as well as their respective teams. The board promotes communication between athletic administrators and student-athletes, thus providing a voice for all student-athletes.
To encourage the student-athlete to develop and pursue career and life goals.
- In conjunction with the Providence College Office of Career Services, student-athletes are offered various workshops and seminars that aid the student-athlete in developing career objectives and preparing for life outside of college athletics. Student-athletes are strongly encouraged to visit the Providence College Career Services Office where they can receive information on career workshops, career exploration, job shadowing, internships, resume writing, interviewing strategies, major exploration, campus recruitment, and graduate or professional school study.
To encourage the student-athlete to provide service to his or her campus and surrounding communities.
- Providence College student-athletes take part in numerous volunteer and fundraising opportunities throughout the Providence community. Some events in which student-athletes have participated include reading at local elementary/middle schools, speaking to groups of community children regarding the dangers of drugs and alcohol and the importance of education, appearing and assisting with the W.S.N.E. kids fair, raising money for the Make-A-Wish Foundation, and collecting non-perishables for area food pantries.