Main Logo for Providence College
Site Home> Services > Documenting Other Disabilites

Documenting Other Disabilites

The following guidelines are for students seeking support services on the basis of a documented disability other than a specific learning disability (e.g., ADHD, Physical Disability, Medical Disability, Psychiatric Disability, Visual/Hearing Impairment). This documentation is required under Section 504 and the ADA.

I. ADD/ADHD and Psychiatric Disabilities

A developmental physician, neurologist, psychiatrist, licensed doctoral level clinician, educational psychologist, or other qualified diagnostician must have completed the diagnosis.  The documentation must include the following:

A. Clear statement of the DSM IV-TR or ICD-10 diagnosis

B. Date of diagnosis

C. Summary of instruments used to make diagnosis

D. A summary of evaluation results with standardized scores if available

E. Statement of impact and limitations on student’s performance

F. Recommendations for academic accommodations

II. Physical/Medical/Psychiatric Disabilities & Visual/Hearing Impairments

Documentation specifying the disability and accommodations needed must be from an attending physician or psychiatrist (additional documentation may be required from other specialists).

III. Temporary Disabilities

Although Providence College is not federally mandated to provide accommodations for students with temporary disabilities, the College will attempt to assist the students to the best of its ability.  Providence College in its sole discretion will determine the nature, length, extent, and value of any/all services.  The scope of the services is not dictated by the students or their representatives.  Cost of services may be charged to the student.

Students with specific physical disabilities should also contact Dr. James Campbell, Assistant Vice Presiden for Student Development and Compliance in the division of Student Affairs, at (401) 865-2676. Dr. Campbell is the advocate for the non-academic/accessibility needs of Providence College students who have physical/medical disabilities. For more information, visit the Residence Life page.